- Just who are these NGOs?
- Where do they get the time and money for laborious legal procedures? Is it their part-time work or full-time? If the latter, what do they do for a living?
- Are they so much in love with the Indian public that they are fighting for *our* interest?
- Given that common Indian public have never clamoured for many of the causes that such NGOs litigate about, where do they get the idea on what to litigate on?
- Are such public interest litigations really in the interest of the public of this Nation?
- FCRA-NGOs should be barred from filing PILs
- If the above is not possible, a disclosure in each PIL that the Petitioner is an agent of foreign donors is required; Don’t get alarmed by the use of the word “agent”. Let us check out the situation of foreign funded NGOs in the country that sends the largest sum to our NGOs, i.e., USA. Such NGOs receiving foreign funds in USA are declared, by law, as “Foreign Agents”. Such Foreign Agents in USA (i.e., US citizens/residents who run a NGO there) must declare their foreign agentness in every one of their promotional material, whenever they meet any Government servant etc.
- I am not asking to forbid all NGOs from filing PILs. If a NGO is funded only by funds raised within India, of course it can be allowed to file PILs.
- I am not asking for forbidding of any kind of litigation by FCRA-NGOs. FCRA-NGOs should of course possess the right to file any kind of petition, except PILs.
- I have no public position on the legal matters of the PILs presented below, either for or against.
[A] 2012. Himachal Pradesh High Court on HP’s “anti-conversion” law
Himachal Pradesh passed a Religious Freedom Bill in 2007. A section of it demanded that a person who failed to give due notice (to district authorities) before converting to another religion can be fined. This section was struck down by the HP HC. In all, Section 4 and Rules 3 and 5 of HP Freedom of Religion Rules, 2007, were struck down.
This ruling came due to a PIL filed by Evangelical Fellowship of India and ANHAD. Who are they?
The striking down of parts of the Himachal Pradesh Freedom of Religion Rules was covered not only in India, but in USA as well. A few snippets:
So, tell me. Who got the PIL filed? If I say that the rabid evangelical Organization, Partners International of USA did it, can you contest that?
[B] Ban on Jallikattu, Kambala, Captive (Temple) Elephants
[C] Stray Dog Menace
Note how a person associated with Janaseva Sisubhavan filed the Oct. 2015 writ in Kerala HC, upon stray dog catching license cancellation. In the next month, the same FCRA-NGO files the PIL on stray dog menace in Kerala in Supreme Court, which is admitted, heard etc..
[D] Government enforcement of FCRA
[E] Board of Visitors to oversee Prisons
[F] Rules for Jogini/Devadasi Ban
[G] Missing Children, Alcoholism among Children
[H] Validity of Article 377
[I] Appointment of Central Vigilance Commissioner and Vigilance Commisioner
[J] Road widening to be consistent with statutory norms
[K] World Cultural Festival near River Yamuna
[L] Field Trials of Genetically Modified Crops
[M] Human Rights etc.
[N] Right To Education
[O] Disabled Friendly Rail Stations
[P] Upgradation of Disposal Facilities of CFL bulbs